Coronavirus at large: Where does international education stand now?

The year 2020 had a rocky start with a deadly virus on a rampage engulfing human civilization in fear. WHO introduced us to the word ‘pandemic’ at the very beginning of the coronavirus spread. While an epidemic encircles a geographical location, a pandemic is more widespread, global. WHO tried to persuade people to take serious steps against COVID-19. Sooner than later, coronavirus became a serious threat, a devastating backlash to globalization.

It is no longer debatable that coronavirus is affecting multiple industries and education to a huge extent. Ongoing QS survey reveals how this pandemic is employing significant ripples in international education. And how much changes are about to take place in this global emergency.

In India, everything that has been globalized, an academic career is at the top. Since the time of colonization, old imperial ventures allowed students in India to study in England and abroad. Even now, it is the dream of every SAT and GMAT aspirant, even IIT-graduates, to be a part of reputable institutions overseas.

But, what happens next? Will a pandemic like this alter international education? Will it take ages to reconstruct the foundation?

When the fear began in February, survey reports show, 27% of students stated that it is positive coronavirus will affect their study plans abroad. While the emergence doubled, the percentile increased.

However, if you are looking for a backup plan for your career, you can go for the online aptitude test for career guidance, to map your personality traits, areas of high aptitude and interests with streams where they are in demand. Counselors use these career aptitude tests to guide you in gaining clarity. Your alternate career path will help you reach your goals faster without wasting academic years due to covid 19.

As no region remains unaffected, more and more students are choosing to defer or even abandon their education choices.

Are there considerable alternatives?

When international aspirants were asked whether they would opt for a degree online, 60% of prospective students showed interest. On the other hand, 40% gave a negative response immediately.

This study proves and suggests that more and more international universities should upgrade their online learning program. At this moment of crisis, there is sufficient interest and market potential for online courses. And the fact stands, the students are appreciating these online platforms as a scope to get their degrees done.

A problem still prevails. Moving courses online, overnight, is not that simple. It takes major changes to construct virtual learning management systems. Universities would have to go through a complex exercise including resources, processing and time. Even for the best academic institution, this is a huge challenge.

Adding to that, this pandemic has majorly hit the economic balance of the globe and getting immediate help from the government is uncertain.


0 %

User Score

0 ratings
Rate This


Leave your comment